Wednesday 18 December 2013

Christmas Time is Hare Again!

I apologise for the terrible pun, but I'm feeling in a Christmassy mood and have painted a few little canvas's. My brother gave me a pack of tiny A6 canvas boards for my birthday earlier this year - and at first I didn't quite know what to do with them...A6 is really, very, tiny! My preferred medium is acrylic - it just so happened that I had bought quite a lot of it and oil pastels, and both don't really translate to...tiny! So I kept the canvas's for a time when inspiration struck.

Hare running in the snow - December 2013. Acrylic paint on A6 canvas board




So with Christmas looming, I realised that they are card sized. So no deep meanings, I just wanted a fun, sweet image of snow and a hare - so here you have it. We all love hares, don't we? There's just something so evocative about them. I'm not so experienced painting with acrylic paints and tiny, so I did have a few difficulties painting the hare in detail. Painting with acrylic is akin to painting with cream cheese - it's sticky, and the raised checkerboard effect of the canvas didn't really help either. Although, I haven't used other paints since my Art Foundation course way back when, I'm thinking gouache paints would be far easier for the tiny detail. Although, with acrylics you do get a great depth of colour that covers the board completely.

Love, Hope and Joy - Acrylic paint on separate A6 boards. December 2013
With three of the other boards, I painted some motifs with not just a Christmas message, but also a message that lasts throughout the year. Again, these are just fun and I've enjoyed placing them around the house as little reminders to myself to believe. So all that's left is to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment